No hot water pressure from new shower mixer tap
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
melimo
Labourer
Labourer

No hot water pressure from new shower mixer tap

Post by melimo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:55 am

I have recently had some works done to my bathroom. this included fitting a shower mixer head to my bath and new taps to my bathroom basin.
Prior to fitting I had excellent water pressure from both my hot and cold water taps and was able to fill a bath within a few minutes.
Since fitting the new taps i have superb cold water pressure, but the shower mixer tap has no hot water pressure and only just trickles out. The shower can be used but the flow is so poor it is not an enjoyable experience and takes forever to wash soap and shampoo off.
The pressure in the basin taps is fine and the hot water pressure in the rest of the house has remained fine as before. It seems to be simply that something in the tap is causing the problem.
I have a gravity fed system with a hot water tank. However as I have previoulsy said I don't think this can be the problem as prior to fitting the new tap, I had masses of pressure and still do throughout the rest of the house. But now it takes me over an hour to draw a bath and virtually unable to have a shower. I am in a worse situation than I was prior to the work being done.
I really need to find a solution to this as my shower was fitted to enable me to shower as I cannot bathe due to disability, something which I have had to fund myself due to lack of help from my housing association.
I hope someone out there has a better idea of how to fix this than I do. Thanks

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:34 pm

I guess the problem is the new shower mixer tap is only suitable for high pressure system. It's a regular occurrence these days as more and more suppliers sell taps designed to work only with combis.

DIY stores are masters at selling these products without clear labelling. Good plumber's merchants and bathroom shops should always ask first and only offer low pressure (normally marked 0.1 bar) taps if the heating is gravity fed.

Apart from replacing the unit the only alternative is a pump. This however means extensive re-plumbing.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:52 am

"I have recently had some works done to my bathroom. this included fitting a shower mixer head to my bath and new taps to my bathroom basin."

Bob is absolutely correct in what he says about the sheds. Not only should the merchants and bathroom shops discuss it with you but so should the installer as well.

Did you buy the product or did the installer supply it? If you bought it did the installer tell you about the potential problems BEFORE he fitted it? Ithink you need to get him back and discuss it with him.

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:04 pm