No HW to taps
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lmca
Labourer
Labourer

No HW to taps

by lmca » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:42 pm

My indirect heat system (Boiler Potterton Kingfisher II CF-50) is heating water, ie., the flow pipe is hot, but we are not getting HW from taps/shower etc.

The CH pump starts when CH control switched on and circulates to radiators.

Can anyone advise the likely reason for this please?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:46 pm

Are you getting water from the taps and shower etc ?
Reading the post I think your getting water - just not hot water ?

this may be a blockage in the coil in the tank or cylinder or could be an airlock, check the flow to the tank to make sure the heat is getting there, if not then its probably an airlock, and also check the return to make sure its returning back to the boiler, this pipe should be warm.

If you've had any work carried out on the heating sytem recently then its probably just been abit air trapped in the sytem.

Airlocks can be removed by removing the boiler stat and boiling the sytem till it clears, blockages are more complicated to remove.

lmca
Labourer
Labourer

by lmca » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:51 am

Yes, it was just an issue of hot water - the water was available to all outlets.

Thanks for your answer, I think you may well be right! The thing appeared to right itself and we've had no trouble since which would appear to be consistent with your suggestion of an airlock/blockage. The only thing I did was to turn on the CH as I was discussing the function of the circulation pump with a friend and proved this worked by turning on the CH. May well have moved dislodged a blockage. Thanks again, your response very much appreciated.

oakroyders
Labourer
Labourer

Similar problem to IMCA but..

by oakroyders » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:28 pm

...FLOW & RETURN pipes to tank coil both feel hot/warm respectively. The outlet pipe from top of tank doesn't though. Is it possible for the coil to be "furred" up and not giving out its heat to the tank? If so is this curable?
NB: Immersion heater seems to be OK.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:58 am