No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the princip
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
heathyboy
Labourer
Labourer

No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the princip

by heathyboy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi, I have an out building forward of house wall in my front garden. This has been there since 2006. I notice the laws say now that you can not have an out building in your front garden (No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation). Can anyone give me the rules on thsi as i am unclear. Does this mean i can be made to take down my out buildling even though its been up since before the laws came out in 2008? I hope someone can clear this up for me regards and thanks in advance.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the pri

by welsh brickie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:43 am

if it extends past you boundry,it dosent matter how many years its been there they can make you remove it.
Also if you had no planning permission the same rule applies.

heathyboy
Labourer
Labourer

by heathyboy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:39 am

Cant see how they can do that, i see plenty of garages in front of the boundry on 1950s houses

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:45 pm

You will need to check your property boundry with the planning department to be sure,Like I said if it extends past your boundry or you havent got planning they can make you remove it.So I would keep quiet about it.
There may be other properties in your area with garages and/or outbuildings but that doesnt mean they are legal.

tony.g
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tony.g » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:42 pm

It has always been a rule that no building or extension can be built forward of the frontage of a dwelling where that frontage faces a highway.
However, as it has been in position for more than 4 years, it is now exempt and the council cannot take any enforcement action against you.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1