No space in consumer unit for electric shower
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Licinius
Labourer
Labourer

No space in consumer unit for electric shower

Post by Licinius » Sat May 12, 2007 8:23 pm

I only have 8 switches on my old style Wylex consumer unit (I replaced the wire fuses with MCB's some time ago). All 8 switches are in use but I need to connect a 10.5kw electric shower. The unit is very 'crowded' & leaves no room for 10mm cable to be added. Seven of the MCB's have 2 wires each going into them.

Can I install a 2nd smaller consumer unit instead of an RCD just for the shower? This product for example [url]

http://www.awin1.com/pclick.php?p=91884 ... 071&m=1228

If so. how would this connect to my primary consumer unit (would I still need to use the 10mm cable which I don't have room for)?

Thanks in advance

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sun May 13, 2007 9:21 pm

Sorry but you can't fit extra con. unit or wire in shower as is new circuit, both jobs are 'controlled services' under bldg regs so can only be done by regd. electrician.
He will fit an RCD/MCB combined unit listed as 'shower unit' in catalogues, with extra Tails via a special type of connector block, & at same time check bonding to services adequate, regards SPARX

Licinius
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Licinius » Sun May 13, 2007 10:38 pm

Thanks for your reply Sparx. Unfortunately my problem is finding an electrician who wants to do the job after seeing it!!!! I bought this shower over a year ago & several sparks have come along, we've agreed the price & date but then they don't turn up to do the work :evil: Trust me I would much rather pay somebody to do the job for me than take it on myself but this has gone beyond a joke now.

I bought a new 12way split load consumer unit today which I plan to install on Tuesday. Unless of course there are any Hull based sparks reading this forum prepared to take the job on :?: :?: :?:

armo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Consumer Unit

Post by armo » Wed May 16, 2007 9:10 am

Hi Sparx...re the replacement / addition of consumer unit....can a qualified electrician (time served etc) with C&G and ONC replace unit and then have tested by someone registered ?....

I am am going for Part Registration but obviously have worked on all types of electrical installation including 3 phase etc....for many years...advice appreciated.... :roll:

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Wed May 16, 2007 5:49 pm

F.A.O. Armo, unfortunately no is official answer, unless you notify L.A. first and pay fee no matter how qualified you are,
and electricians not allowed to certify someone elses work (comp. cert.)
only periodic insp. which won't do for new inst.
regards & good luck with part p registery, had my 2nd annual insp. visit on Monday, A.O.K. so can carry on self certifying for another year!!!

armo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by armo » Wed May 16, 2007 8:30 pm

Hi Sparx....

Thanks for your answer....sorry to divert somewhat from Post....

It does **** me off when I have worked on electrical inst from 1000 hp Thyristor drives to NASA controllers when I seemingly cannot wire a ring main here....at one time I had responsibility for the work of over 100 sparkies....WOW how things are changing....

Anyways Sparx... my mate has already informed and registered his work with the LBA so it is up to them now.....I have told him about Part P...and he has started his basic wiring !!!

Pleased that all went ok for you....and thanks for speedy reply...ATB Armo

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:26 pm