No valves/TRVs on downstairs radiators. Why?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bigajm
Labourer
Labourer

No valves/TRVs on downstairs radiators. Why?

by bigajm » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:02 pm

(Plumbing novice, looking for advice)

I'm in a 4-bed house, built circa 2000 by Ben Bailey. None of the downstairs radiators (lounge,hall,wc,kitchen,dining room) has a valve or TRV to allow the radiator to be turned off or adjusted in any way. All the upstairs rads have TRVs.

I wondered if there is any legitimate reason for this?

With my wife working from home in the downstairs dining room/office, we're having to have the central heating on, heating all the downstairs rooms, just to keep her warm in that one single room. There's no way to turn off all the other rads in the unused rooms, so the lounge is boiling hot with its double-rad blasting, while the small single rad in her room isn't enough to keep her warm enough.

Is it possible that all the ground floor rads are bypass rads, and so can't be fitted with TRVs?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: No valves/TRVs on downstairs radiators. Why?

by stoneyboy » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:45 pm

Hi bigadm,
If you have a solid fuel or wood pellet boiler then this may explain the lack of valves. Suggest you contact a heating engineer to have a look and see if the rads can be modified to incorporate valves.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1