DIY Doctor

Main navigation

noisey water tank ball valve

Postby ambvol » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:28 am

I have just had my 20 year old cold water tank ball valve replaced because it was not closing properly and the tank was overfilling.
The new valve however is very noisey ie a loud hissing for a couple of minutes just before the valve closes completly. I never noticed this noise from my old valve. The young plumber who replaced the valve agrees that something is wrong and says that he has done the same job in other houses and had the same problem he does not know what the solution is.
I am wondering whether he has installed a low pressure valve instead of a high pressure one.

Any ideas?
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:09 am


Simply Build It

Postby peter the plumber » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:19 am

The valves are too cheap.

I don’t use the cheap ball cock valves anymore, people like quite systems.

Pop down to a plumber’s merchant and ask them for a new one and pop it on.
peter the plumber
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:19 am

Postby leafy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:40 pm

Did you find a solution. I have exactly the same problem, having just replaced an old valve in the water tank. Very loud on refilling. What is the cause? what was the solution?
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:36 pm

Postby m d cooper » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:50 am

this may be of no use,but i had the same problem after having central heating turned out to be an isolator valve just before the water entered the tank.i replaced the isolator and now the excessive noise has gone
m d cooper
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:06 am

Postby Rico » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:55 am

Hi chaps,

The noise is just caused by the water being slowy squeezed off as the diaphragm shuts.

To ensure quite filling you would need to wither get 1 of the following 2 valves.

Both of these fill from the bottom so any water entering comes out under the water line.

1. Torbeck side entry vale
2. Fluid master side entry valve.

Hope this helps.

Rank: Tradesman
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:55 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics