Noisy Mixer Taps
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Razzler
Apprentice
Apprentice

Noisy Mixer Taps

by Razzler » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:31 pm

I have a new build B&B which has a pressurised water system fitted in a 28mm pumped return circuit.
All works great, but the mixer taps in the bathrooms (basins) make a heck of a din when you open them part way.
This problem happens with both hot and cold.
Could this be due to too much flow or pressure?
The taps are rated within the range of the system pressure.
I do have thermal mixing valves fitted and have had to reduce the flow of both the hot and cold taps by shutting the 'in line' valves situated between the TMV and the tap by a about a third.
Does this make any sense?[/b]

johnb
Ganger
Ganger

by johnb » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:04 am

hi razzler simply reduce pressure on tmvs or restrict valves as you have done but this can produce its own noise all the best john

Razzler
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Razzler » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:48 pm

Thanks John...If I adjust the TMV's...will this not simply adjust the hot/cold ratio's?

johnb
Ganger
Ganger

by johnb » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:17 am

hi razzler adjusting the tmv may be needed after altering the service valves, can you describe the noise from the taps do they hum or hammer violently, it would appear the fault may be the taps themselves as both h and c are affected if you remove a tap top and check that the washer is not the old jumper type which is loose in its holder and able to jump up and down all the best john

Razzler
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Razzler » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:45 am

Thanks John...The noise is like a hot air ballon on a burn, but a higher frequency if that makes sense? (water rushing through a pipe I suppose).

johnb
Ganger
Ganger

by johnb » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:05 pm

hi razzler if pressure is high or excessive then noise can be a problem as im sure you know . when you say you have a pressureized system do you mean the boiler system and where does your hot water come from ie mains pressure storage cylinder or roof tank . is cold on mains all the best john

Razzler
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Razzler » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:17 am

Hi John...Yes it's mains pressure storage (ACV Smart cylinder).
The water main rises in 32mm plastic...This then changes to 28mm copper which runs directly to a pressure control valve on top of the cylinder.
This valve assembly passes the cold water at the desired pressure and also T's off the cold water which runs around the house in a 28mm circuit.
The hot water from the cylinder runs around the house in 28mm and returns to the cylinder via a slow running pump.
All T's to showers and basins are 28mm 'through' 15mm T (from both hot and cold circuits).
The 15mm's then feed a TMV at both the showers and basins.
The mixed water out and the cold water feed then pass through valves before reaching the tap.
Once again...I hope that makes sense John?

johnb
Ganger
Ganger

by johnb » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:38 am

hi razzler try reducing cold inlet pressure on cylinder to a level that gives sufficiant pressure upstairs when one two or three draw offs are running or stops the noise which ever comes first all the best john

Razzler
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Razzler » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:12 am

Thanks John...I will give it a go when I return.

Whilst the subject of plumbing...Do you or anyone else know where I can purchase a Fleck 7000 SE Digital Metered Model 70-SE-2-96-M or very similar ?
I have spent hours trolling the web...If I lived in the States I could pick one up almost anywhere at a very reasonable price!
Many thanks again John.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:04 am