noisy pipes and constant water flow outside flat?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cidr
Labourer
Labourer

noisy pipes and constant water flow outside flat?

by cidr » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:34 am

Hi there,

I hope someone can help as I know nothing about plumbing. I've tried to google this problem but nothig's coming.

About 2 weeks ago I started hearing a wooshing water noise from the pipes in the boiler cupboard. and on top of that, there's a pipe outside of my first floor flat that has constant water coming out of it. it's just below my floor and it sticks out of the building a bit like tap (is this an overflow pipe or something?)

I don't know if it's my flat that's causing this problem or someone from up stairs but it's starting to really annoy me. with the noise from the pipe and the water hitting the ground outside. plus, there's now a massive puddle out there.

Does anyone know why this might be happening? Thanks in advance fro any help

C

Dan the man
Ganger
Ganger

by Dan the man » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:23 pm

Yes this will be an overflow either from a toilet or a boiler, try to work out exactly where its coming from first

cidr
Labourer
Labourer

by cidr » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:07 am

Thanks Dan for the reply

Could it be possible that this is actually a problem from upstairs flats? I'm in the first floor, the outside pipe is below me, however, I can hear water wooshing down the pipe from above the boiler as if it's upstairs.

Cheers

Dan the man
Ganger
Ganger

by Dan the man » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:43 pm

It could be the other flats, its hard to locate the problem by the sound of the water because of the vibration in pipes so you will need to look at exactly where it is coming out of the wall (thats most important),

If the pipe is below you then it could be the downstairs boiler, its really hard to tell without seeing it.

First though, check the overflow on your toilet and make sure the water isnt breeching it, if thats ok then check the pressure on your boiler and make sure its not right up to the max, if thats ok then its one of the other flats, its usually a toilet and the noise is it constantly filling up,

Try knocking on and asking them to check.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:50 am

Turn your stop tap off so no water comes out of your cold tap. Leave this for up to half an hour. If in this time the overflow slows down or stops, you have the problem. If it does not, someone else is responsible for the fault.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:40 pm