DIY Doctor


Postby mark prior » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:42 am

hay people i have a qustion for who ever. i had a wylex consumer unit but i about 5 years ago i want to add a nuther circuit. But on the breakers i have with this unit are NSB i need 16A one but all the 16A breakers i am seeing are saying MCB i know the MCB's are the new sort of breakers can i still ues the MCB breakers in this unit. I need anuther circuit for a single double soket?
mark prior
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:24 am


Simply Build It

Postby sparx » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:00 pm

NSB is merely Wylex's model type for their B range of MCB's.
You cannot fit any old make of MCB to any board.
Most electrical suppliers will be able to get a WX NSB 16 for you, they are listed in the current QVS catalogue for instance top of page 57.
BUT if your knowledge of such things is so limited should you be touching a consumer unit at all?
Installing a new circuit even only one outlet is reportable to Local Authority Building Control and a fee payable under Part-P of there regs.
You must also provide an Electrical Installation Certificate even for work on your own property.
Get a registered, qualified electrician in, it will be safer & cheaper in the long run.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics