Oak veneer doors.
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rogerde
Labourer
Labourer

Oak veneer doors.

by rogerde » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi all, very new to site, and what a great site this is. Loads of info for a diy'er like myself.

This is my first post so here goes. Not sure if posting in right place though as this is sort of a painting question and wood care question too.

I have fitted some unfinished nice quality oak veneer doors in my house. I just need a little advice as to what would be best for finishing them off. I would like to no if it is ok to wax or use some sort of oil.
I find this would be much easier than varnishing?
I also do not want a glossy finish neither.

My apologies if posting in wrong section.

rogerde

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Oak veneer doors.

by acsimpson » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:29 pm

I'm afraid I don't know about wax or oil. However I do have oak veneer doors in my house which we varnished, we used 2 coats (3 in damp areas) of ronseal's non gloss floor varnish, sanding before and between coats and the result is great, I prefer it to a gloss finish. We varnished the doors flat which avoided most of the risk of drips.

Di Argent
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Oak veneer doors.

by Di Argent » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:18 am

Hello. I've just finished some oak veneer doors and am very pleased with them. I wasn't sure what to use on them as I didn't want a glossy finish, just wanted to protect the wood. The instructions which came with them, courtesy of Wickes, said not to use any kind of oil. I had previously looked on this site and had come to the same conclusion. So I used Ronseal quick drying varnish (3 coats) in Matt finish and I am delighted with the results. It has really brought out the beauty of the wood, withiout giving a glossy finish. I couldn't be more pleased. Hope this helps.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 6:26 pm