Old 1970's radiators vs new
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
satman68
Labourer
Labourer

Old 1970's radiators vs new

by satman68 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:55 pm

If someone can help on this it would be very much appreciated. I have a bedroom 4x4m walls 2.6m high with a single radiator from the seventies and TRV valve at max. The room never really gets warm, I would say slightly cool you can keep you hand on it for about 20 secs before it is to hot. Also downstairs below the bedroom is the same size room (dining room) but this had a double radiator with a TRV as well at max. This radiator gets ALMOST as hot but you can keep your hand on this one. I bled both rads and I believe the one downstairs may have sludge in it. The water that drains off is clear and not black. I also suffer from bad condensation on the bedroom and some in the room below. The radiators are on north facing walls (2 outside walls) and are below the bay windows. So my question is:

1. Will I benefit from new rads above and below, as they are more efficient and they can draw more air through them as apposed to the 70's versions. This should make the room warmer.
2. If the rooms are warmer they can hold more moister in the air and so there should be less condensation on the windows.
3. the rads are 1600 x 600 high one double (dining room) and one single (bedroom)

Satman68

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:35 pm

You mention the TRV seetings, but what is the boiler thermostat set to ? the boiler stat controls the temp of the water in the radiators, the TRV's control the room temperature.

Set boiler stat to max - if this doesn't help, get an RGi to service the boiler (set/check burner pressures).

A new radiator will be better than a 30 year old radiator with many coats of paint.

htg

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:47 am