Old black n Red T&E
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pg29
Apprentice
Apprentice

Old black n Red T&E

by pg29 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:05 pm

Hi
I am having a small kitchen extension built and have gone through planning permision and Build regs Etc, If i want to add a couple of double sockets of the downstairs ringmain do i have to add a new consumer unit and run in new colour cable. Also the same with the lights in the kitchen, i want to add some more lights to the kitchen ceiling and a second switch and light in the kitchen, do i need to use trhe new colour cable or can i use the 2.5 black n red solid strand T&E. i have a reel in the garage?
Many thanks

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Old black n Red T&E

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:44 pm

[quote="pg29"]Hi
I am having a small kitchen extension built and have gone through planning permision and Build regs Etc, If i want to add a couple of double sockets of the downstairs ringmain do i have to add a new consumer unit and run in new colour cable. Also the same with the lights in the kitchen, i want to add some more lights to the kitchen ceiling and a second switch and light in the kitchen, do i need to use trhe new colour cable or can i use the 2.5 black n red solid strand T&E. i have a reel in the garage?
Many thanks[/quote]

PG29
A NEW RINGMAIN WIRED IN HARMONISED COLOURS BROWN AND
BLUE , 2 . 5 MM2 TWIN AND EARTH , SHOULD BE DEDICATED AS A NEW RING MAIN FOR THE KITCHEN.
RED AND BLACK CABLE IS NO LONGER INSTALLED.
IF YOUR EXISTING CONSUMER UNIT IS NOT ABLE TO ACCOMADATE THE
ADDITIONAL LOAD , OR IS NEEDED TO INCLUDE ITEMS SUCH AS RCD S. THEN U WOULD HAVE TO CHANGE THE MAINS BOARD.
CONSUMER UNIT. R U AWARE OF THE PART P REQUIREMENTS , WHILE
U WERE DEALING WITH PLANNING PERMISSION AND BUILDING REGS.
( SEE DOC SITE HERE ON THIS FORUM ABOUT PART P INFO ).
THIS AREA WHERE U R DOING WORK IS CLASSED AS A SPEACIAL LOCATION , AND IS NOTIFIABLE WORK NOT DIY.
I AM SURE YOUR PART P SPARKY WOULD B ONLY 2 HAPPY TO ADVISE U

BLAKEY1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm