Old Home and External Rendering and Painting Advice
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
robtaylor1986
Labourer
Labourer

Old Home and External Rendering and Painting Advice

by robtaylor1986 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:03 pm

Hi,

I was looking to get some advice. Basically I purchased an old cottage about a year ago, it was in poor condition in the 70's they rendered inside and outside with a hard render and then painting over it with a sandex unbreathable type paint. They did this inside and out so we have been having moisture/damp problems. I am now sorting out the outside as its summer. I have scraped away a lot of the paint covering the hard render, but not all of it because some of it is still in good condition. My question is, do I need to get rid of all the paint? Or just get rid of flaking areas? Then would it be best to replace with a breathable external paint? If so, any recommendations on what brand to use? Finally, is this likely to sort out my damp issues? I can't get rid of the hard render as it may affect/compromise the buildings structure...

Any advice someone can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Bauwer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Old Home and External Rendering and Painting Advice

by Bauwer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:11 am

robtaylor1986 wrote:Hi,

I was looking to get some advice. Basically I purchased an old cottage about a year ago, it was in poor condition in the 70's they rendered inside and outside with a hard render and then painting over it with a sandex unbreathable type paint. They did this inside and out so we have been having moisture/damp problems. I am now sorting out the outside as its summer. I have scraped away a lot of the paint covering the hard render, but not all of it because some of it is still in good condition. My question is, do I need to get rid of all the paint? Or just get rid of flaking areas? Then would it be best to replace with a breathable external paint? If so, any recommendations on what brand to use? Finally, is this likely to sort out my damp issues? I can't get rid of the hard render as it may affect/compromise the buildings structure...

Any advice someone can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob,
It is critical that all impermeable materials, eg hard render are removed in order to prevent a moisture build up in traditionally built properties.
Could you please see below a publication on permeable renders options:
http://greenbuilding.co.uk/insulating-m ... buildings/

Regards, Alexander

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:00 am