Old Parquet Wooden floor and What 'Adhesive' for Border Boards?
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

Mike34
Labourer
Labourer

Old Parquet Wooden floor and What 'Adhesive' for Border Boards?

by Mike34 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:22 am

I would be grateful for advice regarding an existing wooden floor (I believe it is probably a mid / dark oak parquet herringbone style floor). The individual board sizes are 235mm x 65mm x 15mm thick (approx. dimensions).

A number of the 'surround' / 'border' boards (two in width, placed end to end with the joints staggered, rather in the herringbone style of the remainder of the floor) are loose and I wondered how they should be re-fixed.

It looks as though the original 'glue' (probably doubling up as a dpc/moisture barrier layer to the concrete floor underneath) was some kind of black / bitumen type substance (although it also looks like a previous owner has had some of them refix with some type of white 'glue' which has since dried out and become unstuck.

Does any one have an idea what would have been used to 'stick' the boards down originally please? Also, is this product still widely available (if so, where from please?) or is there another product available now that would be better to use?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 1:21 am