DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Old Pipe with inspection lid at the fornt of the house?

Postby ColinMoore10 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:23 pm

Hi All, I have a 1939 build house in Surrey. I am only the second owner, so everying is origial - so lots of work.

I was digging out the drive this weekend and I found, lust under the surface of the soil a small round pipe, about 6 inches, with a lid (looks like an inspection lid). The pipe is full of earth, so I can't see anything. As I dug around I found there is a pipe, about 2 inches that runs from here toward the front of the house. At which point is disappears into the concret path. The markings on the lid of the pipe are faint, but it looks like "STOTA" followed by either an N or an M. It then has a small space and a large Z if read in the same direction as the STOTA word, or N is it is going accross the other way.

Before having to dig the hole thing out towork out what it is, has anyone got any ideas what this is?

Thanks Colin
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:16 pm


Simply Build It

Postby htg engineer » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:06 pm

Could it be a water or gas isolation tap chamber ?

htg engineer
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 3256
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:22 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics