Old Slab Floor With Moisture and Tile Grout not Setting
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

Donstar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Old Slab Floor With Moisture and Tile Grout not Setting

by Donstar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:19 pm

Slate on left concrete on right
Slate on left concrete on right
Hello, I've an old house constructed around 1900. In a back area of the house, in what I believe used to be the old original kitchen the floor was covered in vinyl that I lifted to lay a tile floor. Knowing they wouldn't have had DPM I painted on a bitumen based DPM paint, then tiled the floor. The tiles near the door did not cure and some slight moisture was appearing in the grout. On lifting a tile the adhesive was still unset. I've now lifted the tiles and the adhesive on top of the floor that looks like slate slab hadn't set and was easily lifted. The tiles on top of a concreted part of the floor had cured and dried as expected (and was a bugger to remove!).
I'm obviously going to need to do something. I've contacted both F-Ball and Building Adhesive Ltd for advice but both say they don't do a suitable product. I can't lift the slate slabbing as it goes under walls and main door.
Any help on a solution to this problem? I've got about 15mm to play with before the main uPVC door comes into play.

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 5:20 pm