All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pwell
Labourer
Labourer

Only get hot if I use the boost?? - help please

by pwell » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:51 am

I would be most grateful if Someone would please assist :roll:

I have an economy 7 water heating system. The water does not get hot anymore like it used to over night, although the auto light comes on at 2.15am and switches of at 7.00am. Therefore for the last 2 days I have been without hot water unless I use the boost which costs much more money to instantly heat up the water in 30minutes.

I think i have an immersion heater?

The storage heaters work fine but like I said I am not getting any hot water any more unless I use the boost

I understand the person before me had the hot water element replaced 2 years ago and everythings been fine until the last 2 days suddenly.

Anyone got any ideas of the problem?

Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

by Dave From Leeds » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:02 pm

Hi there,

My understanding of Economy 7 electric water heating systems is that there are two separate heating elements (immersion heaters) in the hot water storage tank/cylinder. One of these is wired into the overnight lower rate Economy 7 circuit and the other into the normal daytime electrical supply (the "boost" that you mentioned). From your post it seems like the element may have failed in the overnight one. Other possibilities are a malfunction in the built-in thermostat for this heater or in the control system that switches it on, although the fact that the "auto light" is coming on suggests that it's not the latter.

You say that the person before you had the hot water element replaced. The question is which one? It could have been the daytime (boost) one or you may just be unlucky that the two year old one has packed in.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm