Opened fireplace for fire basket
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JB
Apprentice
Apprentice

Opened fireplace for fire basket

by JB » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:00 pm

I have opened up a fireplace in my dining room with the intention of having a firebasket to burn logs ( I live in a zone where I am allowed to do this). At the moment I have a hole which is 100cm wide, 38cm deep and 130cm high to the top of the curved brick lintel. I intend to reduce the width by a brick width eitherside to support a lintel on top to square the opening off. I have read on various websites that mention throat lintels and firebacks the help direct fumes/smoke towards the flue. Is this something I need to think about if I am going to be using a firebasket, as the firebacks I have seen (the clay type) would cut down on the area that the basket would sit in? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:55 pm

JB,
Do as planned with brick lining and lintol, then try lighting a fire - you will soon know if you need to reduce the opening further. If you get smoke being blown down the chimney you may have to consider a throat or special terminal on the chimney.
end

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:54 pm

When was the chimney last used?
If it was some time ago?
When you light the fire for the first time the chimney will be cold and damp. The fire will have to heat up and lift out the cold air that is currently inside the chimney, then it will need to dry out and warm up the chimney before it will work properly.
Unless you use a lot of kindling and get the fire burning bright and hot then you may well find that it will smoke. Leaving a window open, so the fire can easily find air to burn will help.
Is there a source of fresh air that will help the fire burn when the windows and doors are normally closed, will this air source create a draft?
Will you end up hot on one side and cold on the other?

JB
Apprentice
Apprentice

by JB » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:54 am

It is a late victorian house and the was an old gas fire there when I moved looked a bit ropey so I dont think that had been used for a long time. With regards to last being used as a solid fuel fire, I dont know, but certainly few decades. I have lit some wood in the fire opening a few weeks ago and could see the smoke coming out of the chimney pot so the chimney seems to be clear. The room has a window that I could open if necessary. My issue is not wanting smoke to come into the room. I know that some may, but dont want a lot for obvious reasons.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:05 am

Before you light ANY sort of fire in it it needs sweeping and smoke testing.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:54 pm