Opinions on Installing Toilet in Understairs Cupboards That's in Kitchen
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
d.s
Labourer
Labourer

Opinions on Installing Toilet in Understairs Cupboards That's in Kitchen

Post by d.s » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi i am thinking of installing a toilet in a cupboard under the stairs, the only problem is this cupboard is in the kitchen and I cant decide whether this would make the property desirable or not when I come to sell. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

DocMartin
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Opinions on Installing Toilet in Understairs Cupboards That's in Kitchen

Post by DocMartin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:24 am

I don't believe you're allowed to have a toilet whose door opens into a kitchen. Regulations. Don't take that as 100% certain but I seem to recall coming across this sort of question myself when thinking of converting an outside loo and outhouse (just outside the kitchen) to be an extension with the loo door moved from outside to inside. Apart from being a bit inelegant, any user of the loo would have emerged into the kitchen, effectively, and I believe I found it wasn't allowed.

Now if this kitchen cupboard could be accessed from the hallway or whatever, then as long as it was blocked off on the kitchen side I think you'd be OK, but I'm assuming you'd have trouble getting a full height access door for it from anywhere else other than the kitchen?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:04 am