Options for plywood underlayment for sheet vinyl in large area
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cc10fun
Labourer
Labourer

Options for plywood underlayment for sheet vinyl in large area

by cc10fun » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:13 pm

Hello all,
I have narrow pine floorboards in the living room (20 sq m) and hall (7 sq m) and need to have sheet vinyl laid which I've chosen from a carpet shop. (It has to be sheet vinyl as I have a poorly incontinent pet) - so I was told I need a plywood floor and because of the size of the area the vinly needs to be glued down. Also been told that the plywood has to be Malaysian so that the F Ball F41 tackifier will stick it together. For 10 sheets of 6mm Malaysian it's £250, £25 each, and for the glue it's £60, fitting is £135 (£445 before I even think about vinyl + fitting costs).
For a subfloor this seems hugely expensive so I'm trying desperately to keep my costs down and want to know if I can confidently request the flooring company to purchase cheaper plywood and get different adhesive? I've already spoken to them and said as much but they said that's how they do it because otherwise the vinyl won't stick and it will ripple. I've seen plywood for half that price and was going to get a joiner to fit it but imagine if I had and it wasn't Malaysian! The vinyl would never stick using this tackifier and I'd have wasted money. Is there any other option for the plywood/adhesive? Any advice greatly received, thank you.

crazydaze
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Options for plywood underlayment for sheet vinyl in large area

by crazydaze » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:57 pm

They have actually priced that very reasonably, for the spec.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:03 pm