Outdoor Cable Management Advice (for CCTV) Conduit / Trunking / Junction Box
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Moocats
Labourer
Labourer

Outdoor Cable Management Advice (for CCTV) Conduit / Trunking / Junction Box

by Moocats » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:36 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for advice firstly on what I should actually be using and how to properly install what I need.

I have decided to upload some pictures to try explain what it is I am planning on doing with the hopes that you fine people can help me understand the best materials to use. I am aiming for a professional and neat look and the concern is not with vandal proofing; access to the area in which this installation will take place is behind a high locked gate and covered by roof cameras so I'm not too worried about someone breaking it.

There are 3 High quality images that you can zoom:
https://i.imgur.com/qO3NOGD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zdZBclc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/b2xSxG9.jpg

Please excuse the haphazard cat6 cable I'm running next door so they can have internet; it's a temporary arrangement :-)

Starting with the first image; there is a green oval shape. Somewhere within or around this green highlight I need to drill into the wall, the wall leading to inside my garage. I was thinking however If I drill approximately where the purple mark is I can go through the fence post, the mortar between the bricks and directly into the garage. This would give me the advantage of ramming a 20mm piece of conduit straight into the garage securely. Something like THIS

In the second image you can follow the green line to approximately depict the path of the cabling from the left side of the fence to the right. There really is no option but to follow the path of the fence here, there's no way around or under. My concern is how to best round the corners of the right side fence post? To cut down on the use of conduit or outdoor trunking I could run the wires on the lip of the fence as indicated by the purple line and then affix a thin piece of wood over the top. This would be easier and cheaper and provide adequate protection to the cable.

Once we get to picture 3 I start to get a bit more confused with what I should be using. The green (or purple depending on which route I took on picture 2) goes up the wall to the red square which indicated a junction box. Assuming I was using 20mm conduit pipe thus far; how does one properly insert that into the box? Does the 20mm Pipe fit perfectly in the holes on the junction box or is there some sort of attachment I should use?

The blue circle indicates where a CCTV camera will be affixed. I appreciate it's a somewhat odd spot and not really at an ideal height but it's actually pretty much a perfect position for what it's needed for.

The cables from the camera would run directly into the JUNCTION BOX so I'm thinking I need something called cable gland joints? They seem to screw into the "m20 threads?" I don't know yet what size I need of these but I found these on amazon with some images on how they work at the very bottom Amazon link Obviously I'd not need so many and ideally want to get the correct size as I'd only want one but am I at least looking at the correct stuff?

I'd then use more conduit shoved into the left of the junction box (again; is there an attachment for that or does it just go in the hole?) going to the corner of the house at which point It'd either go up into the roof or down dependent on costs of conduit, borrowing a ladder and other concerns. As it's only about presentation and environment protection and there's no concern of vandalism I suppose it doesn't infact matter.

Finally I use the below to stick conduit together and fasten the tubes to the brickwork?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-spacer ... of-2/38940

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-heavy- ... of-2/28255

Am I doing this right? Do I need something else? Is there a better options? Perhaps something cheaper or easier to use?

Any help would be appreciated profusely, thank you.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Outdoor Cable Management Advice (for CCTV) Conduit / Trunking / Junction Box

by Mr White » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:00 am

How and where you run the conduit is your choice. (Since you are DIY you can do as you see fit, personally, I would not run conduit on top of a fence)

Be aware that in order for you to go "ramming a 20mm piece of conduit straight into the garage" you are going to need a 20mm drill bit which are usually made for SDS drills, have you access to an SDS drill?

To connect your conduit to anything not directly designed to accept conduit you will need one of These

Moocats
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Outdoor Cable Management Advice (for CCTV) Conduit / Trunking / Junction Box

by Moocats » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:52 pm

Hello Mr White,

Thank you so much for responding to me.

If you'd not use conduit for cable across the side topmost wooden support of the fence how would you do it? I'd love to know of better options!

As for the garage ramming (ohh matron) I actually do have a 20mm masonry bit but I don't own an SDS drill; just a standard hammer drill. I also have a 15mm and I think a 10mm. I planned to drive through the mortar betwixt the brickwork first with the 15mm or 10mm then widen the hole with the 20mm bit. Do you think I'll not be able to achieve this? I suppose I could borrow an SDS drill if you don't think I'll be able to do do it with a standard hammer drill.

You say I'd need This "To connect your conduit to anything not directly designed to accept conduit " does that include the holes on the side of the junction box then? They're not designed to let you put the tube directly in the hole? Sorry If it's obvious I just want to be absolutely clear.

Thanks so much!

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:07 pm

If you look at any "conduit box" you will see it has a"port" designed to accept the size of the conduit it is meant for, so an end box has one "port" a through box has two, a T box has 3 "Ports" an adaptable box does not have any "ports" which is why you should use the part I linked to.

Regarding the 20mm hole it depends on how powerful you hammer drill is and how sharp the drill bits are and how tough the material is you wish to drill through, but starting off small and working your way up is a good idea.

Every person will do a job differently, without visiting the site I am not in a position to suggest an alternative for your conduit run.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:48 am