outdoor finishes
Ask questions and find answers on a range of subjects relating to self build projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
edewey1
Labourer
Labourer

outdoor finishes

by edewey1 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:22 pm

I enjoy making things for the yard. I really like the wood look over the painted look, but the bad part of this is that I am spending more time refinishing then I am building new things . I have used exterior
pollyurethane and varnish . With this I am refinishing most everything each year . This was not to much of a problem until I retired . Now I have made so many thing that am going to have to spend all winter and most of the spring refinishing . So can anyone give me some ideas .
(I enjoy building these thing more then refinishing.)

Thanks to everyone out there
becase I do use a lot of thing that
I see in your magizine and
on TV. Thanks again.
Gene from Browntown , Wi.

watcha
Apprentice
Apprentice

by watcha » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:21 pm

Hi

I think by Yard..... you mean garden. As wood is a natural material the choices you have depend on whether your talking softwoods or hardwoods and even if the end use is functional or decorative. Essentially you can stain, varnish or oil. Varnish is quite durable and should be good (given you buy a decent one) for up to 5 years. Oil is more natural and will not stain the wood.... however, you'll end up re coating every year... but it does enhance the appearance of the wood. I've probably not told you anything you don't already know.

Regards Watcha

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:22 am