Outdoor Light Extension from Existing Light to Bulkhead Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kisoro
Apprentice
Apprentice

Outdoor Light Extension from Existing Light to Bulkhead Light

Post by kisoro » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:17 pm

I have an existing outdoor light (with a sensor that doesn't work, but not needed) which I presume is wired with 3 core cable. I want to add a bulkhead light (60 watt bulb) further down the outside wall to light up the front gate to help with reversing the car at night.

I would like to wire up this bulkhead light by joining the cable, via a junction box, to the existing outside cable of the sensor light. Which would mean both lights coming on together from the one internal switch.

The instructions for the bulkhead light specify the use of a 2 core cable. Would it be OK to connect this cable to the Live and Neutral terminals in the junction box?

What is the correct size cable for the new light - 1.5mm, or less 0.75, say?

And, finally, is it OK to use pvc sheathed cable outdoors (only reachable by ladder) or do I have to use special outdoor cable (which the sensor light does not) ?

I would welcome some advice on this.

Chris

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Outdoor Light Extension from Existing Light to Bulkhead Light

Post by ericmark » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:16 pm

Odd but just fitted an outdoor light myself and I was laughing at the instructions. So some pointers the lamps can get hot, not with mine as I have fitted a LED replacement tube 5W rather than designed 120W but if the lamp is going to heat up cable clearly the cable must be able to take the heat. So thermal setting cable not thermal plastic cable. Standard twin and earth is thermal plastic cable, the old rubber cable was thermal setting as is any heat resistance cable.

Second thing is most outside lamps have a gland for the cable, and in the main to seal the cable needs to be round.

As for cable size if fed from a 6A MCB then 0.75 is ample. The light could be fed with smaller cable but it would need fusing down.

I got a lamp with PIR from Aldi for less than £5 and a LED tube replacement for around £3.75 most expensive bit was the cable. However a PIR is as the letters suggest passive and it relies on the heat from a moving body to work. So wife drives in and reverses out lamp works great for her, I reverse in and drive out, lamp only works after I have opened my door. You can reverse in your Porsche 911 as engine is at the back so there is some heat to trigger it. Even a Beetle would work, but engine at front = light does not work when reversing in.

kisoro
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Outdoor Light Extension from Existing Light to Bulkhead Light

Post by kisoro » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:42 pm

Thank you for your helpful advice Ericmark. Will now proceed.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 7:11 am