Outside light from kitchen light switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Pompeykeith
Labourer
Labourer

Outside light from kitchen light switch

Post by Pompeykeith » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:27 pm

Hi,

I have two switches for my kitchen light. One at the internal door and one at the back door. I wish to install an outside light by the back door. I have already wired up with 1.0mm twin and earth up from the switch and along the ceiling and out. I now need to change the single switch near the back door to a double and feed power from the internal light circuit to the second switch for the outside light. As there is an array of wires to the single switch, 2 red, 2 black, 2 yellow, and 2 earths, along with the new cable for outside, how do I go about it?

All advice gratefully accepted.

Regards

Pompeykeith

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

Post by moggy1968 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:22 am

get an electrician I'm afraid! as this is an outside circuit it is notifiable under part p regulation so must either be done by someone registered, or notified to building control before you start

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:28 pm

Hi apart from moggy's comment ref Part P you cannot normally feed a light from a switch!
First if you look again at switch wiring I would not expect 2 yellows, or 2 blacks as one will be a blue.
this is a 2 way conversion and there will not be a Neutral at the switch,
it just ain't that easy, see projects section of this site about adding lights (& 2way switching).

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:09 am