Outside Light Wiring Conversion Question for Christmas Tree
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BatemanLDN
Labourer
Labourer

Outside Light Wiring Conversion Question for Christmas Tree

by BatemanLDN » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:34 pm

Hi all,

This will probably be a simple one for any electrician out there so hopefully I'll get a nice easy yes or no response (and hopefully how to do it!)

I have an outside light on a balcony that is connected to a light switch indoors. What I would like to do is use the cabling in the light to hook up a plug if possible or to directly wire in an outdoors set of lights. Well it is for a christmas tree - see below.

Is it a matter of matching up the cables with what I want to put out there or is it more complicated than this?

Outdoor light wiring
(picture coming soon)

What I want to connect (I'm sure it will come with a standard UK plug)

BatemanLDN
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Outside Light Wiring Conversion Question for Christmas Tree

by BatemanLDN » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:24 pm

Can't edit the original post for some reason. Here's what I have to work with...

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:51 am

Yes you have the power to lamp but how would you connect so as not to allow water into the fitting clearly your not going to run with cover off as in picture?

Putting a 13A socket on a lighting circuit is not a good idea, using a 5A socket is often done would be an option but would need to be water resistant.

Step one is as always look at the supply. Is the supply RCD protected? If not you need to add RCD protection.

Outside lights may come from a lighting circuit or socket circuit which would impact as to if 5A socket or 13A socket.

I would think it would be better to install a 13A outdoor socket from the socket supply rather than try and use the lighting supply because:-
Socket supply more likely to be RCD protected.
Socket could then be used for other things like lawnmower in summer.
Any fault would not plunge you into darkness.
You would have a standard 13A not 5A socket so could use a plug with built in transformer.

BatemanLDN
Labourer
Labourer

by BatemanLDN » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:50 pm

Thanks for your reply.
Yes normally I would opt for an outside socket but unfortunately it is not possible in this case.
It is a new build flat and no alterations like that are allowed so cannot install an outside power outlet.
The light does have an RCD (connected to the same light ring as the living room lights)
The outside light is on a sheltered balcony so protected from rain. If it was possible to wire the lights in directly to the connection seen in the picture then I think I would be able to put the light cover back on again but not completely screw in tight on the bottom to allow the cables to escape.

What would I need to do in order to connect the Christmas tree lights to this?
It will only ever be used for lights like this over Christmas. No other power is required out on the balcony as I can just run a lead in to the living room if required but as its going to be too cold to leave the door ajar for the lights I am looking for a solution to enable me to have windows and doors closed.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:43 pm