overhead light problem-please help!!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
miss claws
Labourer
Labourer

overhead light problem-please help!!

by miss claws » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:20 pm

Hi! Just wondered if anyone might be able to offer some advice, please. Last week I switched on the hall light and also the kitchen and bathroom ones one morning, in the space of a few minutes. Since then ,no matter which light I turn on , the trip switch goes. The sockets all seem to be ok. I think you can hear a banging/popping sound in the kitchen at the same time as the bulb goes out and the trip switch goes. I had to get a new boiler (in kitchen) few months ago, bit it is working ok. I have left the trip switch off but am a bit worried might get fried...the electrician said he doesn't know what the problem is and says will have to strip down all the wiring, and it will be expensive. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks very much in advance.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:46 pm

Hi miss claws,
It could be a few things, sounds like you could have short circuit. I'm sure your electrician will be able to solve your problem.
KB

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:04 pm

What is the trip that goes MCB or RCD i.e. has it got a yellow button.
One thing you may try is remove all bulbs and see if it still trips and if not replace one at a time that way you may locate where the problem is.
For wiring to be faulty is unusual but not impossible. More likely slight vibration has let a screw work lose. Sometime you can find it with AM radio tuned off channel and walk around house looking for worst interference. Worth looking at kitchen of course but if you are using discharge lamps they could be making noise. I think I may try another electrician can't understand why he would walk off and leave it? If a second says its the wiring then maybe connect?

m7ohn
Tradesman
Tradesman

by m7ohn » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:13 am

maybe when your new boiler was fitted the guy has compramised the water tight integrity of your roof or wall depending on where the flue is fitted and possibly storm water getting into your house and shorting something out at possibly the ceiling rose level or something.

Has it started tripping following any period of heavy rainfall?

miss claws
Labourer
Labourer

thanks

by miss claws » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:21 pm

Thanks everyone!!
It is a C6 trip that goes, with no yellow button.
When I brought the radio close to the point where the thermostat for the boiler was, there is a loud popping noise and the trip goes.This happens whilst the kitchen lights are all off at the wall socket. Does this mean theres a short circuit here?
On the same wall there is a window, and recently we had some water coming in due to damaged pointing at windows in flat above.
Thanks very much again for all your advice!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:33 pm