Paint Coming off Plasterboard With Wallpaper in big Chunks
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rosie666
Labourer
Labourer

Paint Coming off Plasterboard With Wallpaper in big Chunks

by Rosie666 » Sun May 05, 2019 2:00 pm

Hi. I’m on my third room now removing wallpaper and in every room no matter what method ( steaming/ water/ stripper) the paint covering the plasterboard is coming off with the wallpaper in big chunks and little flakes. Lots of the wallpaper is loose and starting to come away. It’s embossed paper which has been painted. The plasterboard is mostly undamaged, and I will be getting the walls skimmed.
I’d love to know why-is it me, the original builders or the wallpaper application.

Thank you!!

gc1967
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Paint Coming off Plasterboard With Wallpaper in big Chunks

by gc1967 » Thu May 09, 2019 2:12 pm

You shouldn't use a steam stripper to get paper off if the walls are plasterboard as it softens the face of the plasterboard and that will end up coming off.
If you are trying to get painted embossed wallpaper off it is best to dry scrape the front layer off and then wet in with a brush the backing paper and scrape off, dont be too alarmed paint coming off when stripping on plasterboard that is normal, but it will be a lot less if you dont use a steam stripper.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:41 am