Paint gone yellow behind furniture - why?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Helena
Labourer
Labourer

Paint gone yellow behind furniture - why?

Post by Helena » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:57 pm

I recently had some of my carpets replaced so had to empty a few rooms of their contents and move the furniture around.

When I did this I discovered that a lot of the woodwork (skirting mainly) that had been behind furniture had gone yellow.....this woodwork was only painted a few years previously.

Does anyone know why this would happen? Would a lack of air cause a paint to turn yellow? (I would have thought it would be the other way round) I used Dulux and the right sort of paint so that wasn't the problem.

I guess there is nothing I can do about it but paint the woodwork again, however what can I do to stop this happening again?

pablo2
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by pablo2 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:24 pm

hello

I think the oil in the paint will cause all paints to yellow and the lack of light acellerates this process. The allternative is waterbased gloss but it does have it drawbacks.

Pablo

Helena
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Helena » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:49 am

Thanks so much for the reply. What are the drawbacks with water based paint then?
What would you recommend using?

pablo2
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by pablo2 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:00 pm

I don't think water based paints flow out as well as oil , it helps if you use a quality brush such as a perdy , on skirtings and trim this may not be so noticible but for doors you could well see a lot more brush lines .

I personally do not think it is as hard wearing as an oill finish , I guess eventually all oil paints will be phased out but now more than ever customers expect a smooth high gloss finish

pablo

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:33 pm