Paint removal on front bricks of house
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alison1971
Tradesman
Tradesman

Paint removal on front bricks of house

Post by alison1971 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:38 pm

Hello

Can anyone tell me how to and what to use to remove some red/pinkly colour paint which has been painted on bricks of the front of a house I am buying. Looks a mess and I am unsure what to use incase I get something that may damage the bricks.

Any help would be fab
Thanks
Alison

burty
Labourer
Labourer

Paint removal

Post by burty » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:21 am

hallo Alison

I have never used it but a few years ago I was told about an Aussie product known as 'Peelaway'. This is apparently a paper sheet or similar containing a chemical which is pressed against the wall. After being left for a certain period, it is removed, taking the paint with it or leaving it suitable for easy mechanical removal e.g. shavehook or similar.

I recently spoke to Brewers Decorators Merchants who do stock this or a similar product.

All the best

burty

alison1971
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by alison1971 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:50 pm

thankyou for the reply.

Would other paint stripper/remover chemicals spoil brickwork then?

Alison

elwood
Ganger
Ganger

Post by elwood » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:37 pm

Hi

Is very hard to remove paint from bricks because they are porus
and the paint will soak in like water in a sponge.

Paint every thing the same colour white/magnolia

maybe a darker colour on any header courses above the window and paint in a quoine effect on the corners

davechidlow
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same problem

Post by davechidlow » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:13 pm

Hi Alison, we have the same problem removing the paint where our old conseratory used to be. First thing don't bother using brick acid- it won't work on paint. We have tried Nitromorse, but this can be quite messy,a heat-gun has also been tried, it works but is quite long winded. Also we have used a pressure washer, this works can be quite long winded also, and can flood (the surrounding area) in quite a short -time. So i would say it's left with you as to which is best for you, Hope this is of some help -Dave.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:01 pm

The ultimate question really is - why do people feel the need to paint bricks ?

It's understandable is in a conservatory - but normally it would also be plastered - I think external brickwork should be left the way it's meant to be.

We have stone window sills - nearly every house in my street has them painted, apart from mine and a few others - I really cannot understand why people do it.

htg

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

paint removal

Post by welsh brickie » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:04 pm

you will never removal all the paint.The only way is to have it sand blasted off.

alison1971
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by alison1971 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:14 pm

I was told about this sand blasting - isn't something that i wish to tackle personally, but i do want this horrid nasty old chipped faded red paint a gonner - so looks like i shall have to get someone to give it a go.

I have no idea why anyone paints bricks, especially so many, as in this case this red paint is a third of the way up the house from front to back. Horrible.

Alison

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:08 am