Painting Walls Disaster! Please advice
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
shopkeeper
Labourer
Labourer

Painting Walls Disaster! Please advice

by shopkeeper » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:31 pm

I have spent the last 2 months of my spare time (evening and weekends) removing wallpaper and preparing the walls underneath by filling and sanding the holes and cracks that were there. I also spent additional time making sure the walls were clean and spotless as I could achieve, even sanding the walls to achieve a smooth finish in preparation to applying paint.

Intially after removing the wallpaper, I noticed that the walls had been previously painted ( a different colour in each of the rooms, light green, blues and pink etc). I applied a coat of white matt paint with a roller to the wall in the lounge ,which had been previoulsy painted a light shade of green. I wasn't too worried that the paint seemed to be going on a little thin and I could still see a lot of the green paint underneath but was somewhat concerned that there was splotches where the matt paint seemed to be sticking much more and causing spots of it to appear in places on the wall.

Today I applied a second coat of the white matt paint and it has hardly made any difference! I can still see a far amount of the previous green paint and if anything it has made the splotches that appeared from the previous coat even more apparent.

Please help with suggestions on what I could do. I am beginning to despair at the thought of having wasted weeks and being left with a horrible finish.

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Painting Walls Disaster! Please advice

by JRS » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:33 pm

Lining paper, job done

Jame
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Painting Walls Disaster! Please advice

by Jame » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:50 am

Prior to anything, attempt another layer of fresh paint. That could make the colour deepen, particularly if you're addressing a whitened wall.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:10 pm