DIY Doctor

part p

Postby old escort » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:03 am

i have recently had my house rewired by an aquaintance who is a qualified electrician but is not part p qualified and is not registered. he gave me a verbal quote but i asked him to do some extras. We have disagreed now on the cost of the extras and he is now not going to give me a test certificate unless i stump up the extra cash
old escort
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:51 am


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:31 am

It will have been your responsibility to have registered the work with the council building control who I expect now want the installation certificate before they issue the completion certificate sometimes they will accept a periodic inspection report which you could get from another electrician.
So your options are:-
Pay the Guy.
or contact building controls and ask what they will accept.
Since you still may end up having pay the guy anyway it may not be worth all the hassle going to building control only you can work out best option.

Postby sparx » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:04 pm

Hi, as Eric correctly says, it is your responsibility to notify LABC if work is to be done by unregistered person either yourself or an unregistered leckie. The notification has to be done, with fee paid BEFORE any work is started, so he has broken the law by doing the work.
However in attempting to get a cheap (cash?) job done by an unregistered person I presume you have no proof who did the work?
It is a requirement of the IET regs. BS7671 that any work done must have a cert. issued but if you try to get 'official' with him it could bite you on the bum!!!
Best way out would be to cough up for work, get cert. [making sure his details on them correct] then you can go to LABC and complain he told you he was registered, also if he issues certs with a trade logo on then complain to them.
You would be doing all us fee paying legal Leckies a favour, I won't hesitate to drop 'em in the brown & smelly stuff myself, we are dearer for this very reason & you gets what you pay for!!
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.

Postby old escort » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:32 pm

so it WAS obviously my resposibility to in form the LABC
old escort
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:51 am

Postby ericmark » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:39 pm

It was your responsibility you ensure the LABC were informed but not to do the informing if the electrician had been registered under one of the Part P schemes then he would have done the informing. This is where the whole system falls down as there is nothing to say the electrician must view any paperwork before starting work so if he says you were going to inform the LABC and you say he was going to do it then you are considered guilty of not informing the LABC which I agree is daft. If however he has also done sub-standard work then the tend to side with you.
My father had some work started where the builder walked off in the middle of the job and because he was also getting a grant as my mother was disabled we had to involve the LABC we explained what had happened and it seems the builder had not informed the LABC about any of the work, Drains, lintels in supporting walls or electrics the rest of building did not seem a problem as the council guy could see what they had done and what they had not. But the electrics he was not very happy with as he didn’t know what was what and did not want to sign anything off which could come back on him and wanted all work to stop. After explaining it was now emergency work he did allow me and my son to finish the job off and since it was for disabled access fees were waved. But if as you say he told you he was not registered then that has put the informing of LABC squarely on your shoulders and I would not like to advise you either way as to inform LABC will cause a lot of hassle to the extent they could make you have it all ripped out and start again on the other hand not to inform them could make it really hard to sell your house and your insurance may be invalid.
If however you get all the installation paperwork from the spark and go to the LABC and say sorry I thought he was doing it and he says he though I was doing it then you can very likely pay the fee accept a slap on the wrist and get away with it all. Depends on which LABC but it is unlikely they would cause too much fuss if you claim genuine mistake and then you will get the completion certificate required to sell the house.
All best Eric
P.S. Sparx is a lot more experienced than me in domestic if he also replies take his word over mine.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics