Penetrating damp caused by roadside verge outside
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ashcollins
Labourer
Labourer

Penetrating damp caused by roadside verge outside

Post by ashcollins » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:35 am

Hi,

One long wall of my house backs on to a B road. The wall is circa 1850 and a solid, but thick brick wall. It meets the roadside verge (earth) with the ground level outside being about 50cm higher than floor level inside. The verge is about 1m wide and grass covered. There's some penetrating damp along parts of the inside wall. Bearing in mind that the verge is council property, is there anything I can do externally, by digging a narrow trench down 50 or 60cm (and approx a spade width wide) and running a damp proof membrane along the brick work and then re-filling? So the earth would sit directly back up against the membrane. Or could I refill with gravel and take my changes with the council? Would either of these make any difference?
Any advice welcome.
Ash

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Penetrating damp caused by roadside verge outside

Post by stoneyboy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:27 pm

Hi ashcollins
Don't think you will really solve this problem unless you create a narrow open trench.
You could try digging out as you propose, fitting a breathable membrane (the right way round) and backfilling with coarse shingle.
Regards S

ashcollins
Labourer
Labourer

Post by ashcollins » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:33 am

Thanks S,

I kind of thought that was about the best I could get. Can you recommend a breathable membrane?

Ash

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:40 am

Hi ashcollins
Difficult to recommend any particular one, bear in mind that the membranes are designed to clad walls and be a sarking felt so not directly recommended for your application.
I have used the roofshield/ruberoid felt which is nice and thick but it is expensive. You could try without covering the wall surface and see if it reduces the problem.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:22 am