Penetrating Damp From Outside Wall Into Hallway and Whats the Best Course of Action to Take Whilst Waiting for Rendering to be Repaired
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bumblebee16
Labourer
Labourer

Penetrating Damp From Outside Wall Into Hallway and Whats the Best Course of Action to Take Whilst Waiting for Rendering to be Repaired

by Bumblebee16 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:58 am

Hi, I have a dilemma with a basement flat. There is a concrete walkway above the front door, which is allowing water through every time it rains. The Freeholders are getting quotes to resurface the walkway, as well as make repairs to the rendering of the flats, and waterproof the walls at the same time.
However, works can not begin for at least 60 days, because of the cost to the leaseholders.
I need to stop water from entering the basement flat and need to add something which is going to deflect water away from the wall. It only needs to be a short term solution, until the major repairs are done.
I am attaching a photograph of the area so you can see what Is happening.
Attachments
E65007C0-A3E4-4C2B-9FB3-62346CE9EAFF.jpeg

eeffttees
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Penetrating Damp From Outside Wall Into Hallway and Whats the Best Course of Action to Take Whilst Waiting for Rendering to be Repaired

by eeffttees » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Its hard to see from the photo, I guess that is the inside area.

If you can upload a photo of the out side area to see where the water is coming from,

It needs to be stopped before its getting into the wall. there is no point trying to treat it after it has got into the wall it will just make matters worse.

If you can tackle it prior its the best option.

otherwise you will just end up with problems else where.

Bumblebee16
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Penetrating Damp From Outside Wall Into Hallway and Whats the Best Course of Action to Take Whilst Waiting for Rendering to be Repaired

by Bumblebee16 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:34 am

Thanks eeffttees

The photo in my original post is showing the external wall above the basement front door, looking up at the walkway overhead.

[img]
BB288BBF-1734-4A37-BFC9-36A897FD9DC0.jpeg
[/img]

Here is a photo of the area from further away. Water is penetrating the concrete walkway and running down and into the wall of the basement flat. Water has damaged the walls internally.

However, this week, we discovered that the flats at street level are also affected by the water ingress. The internal walls below the door thresholds are extremely damp.

Our damp surveyor says that by waterproofing the surface of the walkway, the water will not be able to soak through the concrete and the areas will eventually dry out.

I was hoping for a short term fix, but knowing how the water is getting in, it probably isn’t possible.
Attachments
BB288BBF-1734-4A37-BFC9-36A897FD9DC0.jpeg

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:40 am