Penetrating damp stone walls
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
trish
Labourer
Labourer

Penetrating damp stone walls

by trish » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:43 am

Hi, I have an old stone cottage which is suffering from penetrating damp on all external walls. I have had conflicting advice from different damp companies so not sure where to begin to get the problem sorted. Any advice from anyone who has experienced the same would be really appreciated.

Many thanks, Trish

SPUD1701
Tradesman
Tradesman

by SPUD1701 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:34 pm

Hi

If external finish all stone work, I would suggest that you check the condition of the pointing, condition of stone and make sure gutters, downpipes etc if leaking are repaired.

Penetrating damp is water that is getting in from outside, need to check condition externally and fix.

What condition of walls internally, where do you see the wet marks - this should give some idea where water getting in.

If marks not wet, but black sooty substance then not penetrating damp but more likely to be condensation.

trish
Labourer
Labourer

by trish » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:44 am

Many thanks for this!

No visible sign of leaks but will check out again.

Trish

leedsash
Labourer
Labourer

by leedsash » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:13 pm

trish;

old stone property which won't have any damp proof course. as above check for leaking downpipes/areas the pointing may need attention as this could be allowing water to ingress in.

How long have you been at the property and how long have you noticed the damp problems? Have you had any work done in the affected room(s) lately and what are the walls coverings?

Old properties with no D.P.C need lime plaster which is porous and allows the walls to 'breathe' - providing they are not covered with walls coverings that are themselves not porous, e.g vinyl paper or silk/P.V.A containing paints.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:00 pm