DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Periodical Tripping of Fuse Switch - Can't Work out Why?

Postby DudeWatsit » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:07 am

Hi everyone,
I have a fuse switch tripping in my fuse box but it has only happened 4 times in 3 days (so far). it has happened:
9th August - 5:10
9th August - 8:45
9th August - 17:10
11th August - 1:20
My house is a newish build (almost 8 years old) and the same switch keeps tripping along with the RCD switch in the fuse box.
We don't have anything that is on a timer so it is odd that it has tripped very early in the mornings sometimes. When the fuse has tripped, nothing has been plugged in or turned on etc which is very odd.

Can anyone help me to try and diagnose what is causing this?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
DudeWatsit
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Mr White » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:19 pm

You probably have a TV, computer, phone charger, fridge, freezer, cooker, plugged in and on/standby, but I would suggest you look at any external lights.
Mr White

Postby DudeWatsit » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:44 pm

Thanks for your reply.
My only standby item would be my TV/sky/WiFi (the kitchen seems to not be affected). I have two external lights, how would I be able to tell which item it is that is causing the problem?
DudeWatsit
Progress to next rank:
25%

Postby Mr White » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:11 pm

Inspect the inside of the lights / isolate them.
I am not saying it is the cause, but from what information you have provided I would start there.
Failing that, get the installation tested.
Mr White

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!