Perished DPC!
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TONYTONE
Tradesman
Tradesman

Perished DPC!

Post by TONYTONE » Thu May 29, 2008 11:46 am

Bear with me on this please.

I have a victorian 1910 mid terrace and last night stripped the wallpaper off in the front room. Behind I found what look like two damp patches. The front room has a floating floor of which I can get under and after a quick inspection it looks like the DPC has gone ie you can get hold of a piece and it will snap off.

Does anyone know how I can resolve this? i was thinking that to replace the DPC on such an old house would be a nightmare and wondered if painting the exposed wall under the floor with somthing like linseed oil would be the best bet. Would coating the underfloor section of the wall with insulation be of any help?

Cheers in advance folks.

Tone

richm
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by richm » Sat May 31, 2008 12:05 pm

Hi,
If your dpc has perished & you are getting damp rising up from the course of bricks below, the only & cheapest solution is an injected chemical new dpc (you can hire the machine & solution yourself) but if you get a company in at least they will guarantee their work.
If dampness is penetrating through brickwork above dpc & you want to 'paint' the internal bricks with something I would suggest lots of coats of bitumen.
Hope this helps

TONYTONE
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by TONYTONE » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:45 am

Cheers Rich, I did that on saturday. Whether that will solve the problem remains to be seen. Your Bitumen idea has occurd to me but at the moment I wonder whether sealing this section of the wall will give the water nowhere to go and also possibly make the wall sweat. It would be good if I could paint the wall with somthing that would disperse the water but still allow it to breath. WD40 would be ideal if it didn,t smell. Need to do some more digging before I come up with a better solution.

Anyone with any more suggestion would be very much appreciated.

Tone

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:02 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:09 pm