pipe insulation
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ajax
Tradesman
Tradesman

pipe insulation

by ajax » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:22 pm

hello

I have just had a new central heating system put in, and have insulated the pipes downstairs with circular foam. Is it best to insulate the upstairs pipes as well ? I was told by a friend, best not to, as it will radiate heat up through the floor, helping to keep the floors warm etc.. I am trying to make it as efficient as possible, and would like ot know any views, or what is normal practice for this.

many thnks
adrian

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:46 pm

Alot of heat is lost under the floor, but with wooden floors this is not always a bad thing as it does help heat the floor and the room. Insulating the pipes will make the system more efficient as it will prevent heat loss and the majority of the heat will be transferred to the rooms via the radiators.

Reducing the heat loss under the floor means the flow and return will reach temperature quicker and therefore the boiler/burner will spend less time on, don't onow the exact savings but with energy prices the way they are - every little helps.

htg

ajax
Tradesman
Tradesman

by ajax » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:46 am

I see what your saying there. Thanks for that, think I will insulate them as I have some left over.
cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1