Pipes in a chimney breast
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Prawncoktail
Labourer
Labourer

Pipes in a chimney breast

by Prawncoktail » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:48 pm

thumbnail_Screenshot_20220611-181846_Gallery.jpg
thumbnail_Screenshot_20220611-181741_Gallery.jpg
thumbnail_Screenshot_20220611-181656_Gallery.jpg
thumbnail_Screenshot_20220611-181628_Gallery.jpg

Hi all.
New here, due to a project i am facing atm, with some comfusion.
I am opening up the existing fireplace which initially was behind plaster board, as i want to install a log burner.
I have opened up a hatch to get access, and have noted there is a flue already installed, and looks all clear fromw hat i can tell.
However, there are a few random pipes sticking out from the brickwork to the side.
Three in total, two of which are not capped, and are just randomly cut and left exposed (One of which is located near the floor, near the concrete slab, and the other is further into the breast wall, again randomly cut and exposed) The larger yellow plastic pipe, which has a copper capping is my main question. - Is it a gas pipe? As far as i am aware, the previous owners had an electric fire installed, but we've only had this house two years, so don't have much more to go on.
If it is a gas pipe, should i get a gas fitter in to relocate the pipe, or cap it further back toward the wall? And, any ideas what the other two pipes may be for?
I've attached all the pictures i think would help.
Many thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Pipes in a chimney breast

by stoneyboy » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:42 pm

Hi prawncoktail,
The yellow pipe is definitely a gas pipe, you will need to investigate whether it is live, at least a Gassafe person will have to do so.
The other pipes were probably for a back boiler so if they are open ignore them.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:31 am