plaster dropping off whilst steaming off old paper
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cramponkid
Labourer
Labourer

plaster dropping off whilst steaming off old paper

by cramponkid » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:01 pm

hi whilst stripping paper using a steamer the top coat of plaster under the paper has cracked and then fallen off the wall, this has happened in just a few areas each time on an outside wall, by the time that i have removed all loose plaster i've been left with an area of about 300 to 600mm.
can anyone tell me why this might of happened thanks

Did it myself
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Did it myself » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:47 am

It's most likely that its just old plaster... and will need patching or the full wall skimming if you think its loose in other areas.

If a steamer is held on an area for too long or the plaster saturated, this can cause the plaster to fall off too.

It could also be an indication of damp if its an external wall? maybe worth checking, but more likely to be one of the above

cramponkid
Labourer
Labourer

striping wallpaper

by cramponkid » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:20 pm

hi and thanks to all, it only appears to be in patches and the rest of the wall seems sound so i've patched it up and i think it should be fine again many thanks :D

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:58 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:16 am