Plaster Over Old Fireplace That is now Cracking
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nick1234
Labourer
Labourer

Plaster Over Old Fireplace That is now Cracking

by Nick1234 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:25 am

We have an old fireplace which has been plasterboarded and plastered over. In front of this we have a wood burning stove, with a pipe which goes up to the original chimney in the roof. (outside the wall up until the chimney in the attic).
The plaster behind the stove is cracking.

From tapping on the wall it sounds hollow behind, so I think they have literally put plasterboard over the hole but not bricked up the old fireplace. I think the air is getting heated and expanding, pushing the plaster out as there is no longer a link to the chimney from the air gap.

I want to cut out the plasterboard where it is cracking (the crack forms an actual outline of the board - approx a meter by half a meter), brick up the hole and then plasterboard over the brick to match the room.

From reading around, when you brick up a fireplace you should put in an air block. Is this needed if there is no route to the chimney anymore?

If it is, can the plasterboard go over the air brick, or does it have to be left open to the room?

Would I have to brick the hole, or could I fill it with, eg expanding foam or similar?

What is the best way to remove the plasterboard so I can reuse it? (it is heatproof plasterboard so expensive)

Nick1234
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Plaster Over Old Fireplace That is now Cracking

by Nick1234 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:16 pm

Whole setup
Whole setup

Whole setup
Whole setup

Photos of the while setup and the crack up the side of the outline of the plasterboard
Attachments
LRM_EXPORT_20170109_160602~01~01.jpg

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:25 am