Plasterboard-covered walls
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JohnB333
Apprentice
Apprentice

Plasterboard-covered walls

by JohnB333 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:29 pm

I'm new (very!) to this DIY lark and this site is a revelation for tyros like me!
I have a general question relating to fixing items onto a wall. My house is relatively new and I wish to fix a couple of shelves on an internal, load bearing wall. The breeze block wall is covered with plasterboard, (I don't think there is a cavity), and my question is this: After I have drilled the holes, do I insert the plugs flush with the plasterboard or do I push the plug through the board so it is wholly in the wall? My instinct says that if it is the first option then the item would not be secure?
I have searched the Projects but am unable to find an answer. My apologies if I have missed it!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:34 pm

JohnB333,
Preferably screw into the wall behind the plasterboard but use brackets that have a wide bearing onto the plasterboard or you will pull the brackets through the board.
end

JohnB333
Apprentice
Apprentice

by JohnB333 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:38 am

[quote="stoneyboy"]JohnB333,
Preferably screw into the wall behind the plasterboard but use brackets that have a wide bearing onto the plasterboard or you will pull the brackets through the board.
end[/quote]

Many thanks, stoneyboy, for your reply. Much appreciated!

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:53 pm

Yes you must go through into the blockwork. If it's a heavy item use a frame fixing. After having drilled the hole then half fill with a chemical anchor, insert the fixing and secure the item. It'll need a bomb to get it out again mind!

JohnB333
Apprentice
Apprentice

by JohnB333 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:18 pm

[quote="rosebery"]Yes you must go through into the blockwork. If it's a heavy item use a frame fixing. After having drilled the hole then half fill with a chemical anchor, insert the fixing and secure the item. It'll need a bomb to get it out again mind![/quote]

Great advice roseberry; many thanks!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:39 am