Plasterer from NZ moving to uk
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Brett20
Labourer
Labourer

Plasterer from NZ moving to uk

by Brett20 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:26 am

hey my names brett and next year i am looking at moving to the UK and working for a year or so, does anyone know how i go about finding a job over there?

Dan the man
Ganger
Ganger

by Dan the man » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:42 pm

Stay in NZ pal, finding a job in the building trade over here at the minute is very hard, I'm a plasterer and i'm struggling to make ends meet, my wages are down 50% due to people putting cheap quotes in. I'm earning minimum wages just to stay in a job.

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:29 pm

As what dan just said mate stay were you are am wanting to come to you. We have very little work And without trying to offend to many foreigners mainly polish who are willing to work for less than national min wage. I am only being honest here i see it every day. Companies are undercutting each other to get work then putting skeleton squads on the sites to make there money. Right now i am on a massive hotel project in glasgow and 90% of the site is on a bare rate for overtime and if you dont do overtime then you are out the door. Hard for the ones like myself who has a life and is used to getting time and a half for sat and double bubble on a sunday.

What ever you choose sure you will still be welcome unless your a yes man with a brown nose. :roll:

30yearsinthegame
Tradesman
Tradesman

by 30yearsinthegame » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:57 am

hey brett

i guess you need to ask your self how good are you ? how quick are you? can you do rendering? can you floor screed? can you dry line? if you answer yes to these and your quick and can rough and skim min 50 sqm per day, 50sqm screed , 70 to 100 sqm skim, top 30-40 sqm of external muck, and can do it to a good standard then dude there is lots of work > uk have been strugling for years finding decent plasterers and i see it most days> i floor screed only these days and thats where the money is. i see poor skimmers and banana hardwall and it makes me laugh. ive been working for the same contractor for the last 13 years and there is only 4 good plasterers out of the 60 the contractor has on sub and books. my contractor will pay me £170 per day for easy day work plastering where other plasterers have messed up. if you come over to uk make sure your down south. remember a good plasterer will always have work, and can rough, skim, screed, render and dry wall. its simple math good work = contractors wanting your skills. good luck

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:08 am