plastering & drylining
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
L&A
Apprentice
Apprentice

plastering & drylining

by L&A » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:41 pm

Hi,    I am new to plastering, I have bought a roll of self adhesive skrim tape and need to know if I should PVA the area where it is to be used before or after applying the tape; or not PVA that area at all.  I did put a practise peice on the ceiling to cover a crack, but it pulled off with the plaster.  Could it be that I am not applying enough pressure on the tape when I apply it?.  Another problem I have is that I am a woman with very small hands and the float is sometimes too big for comfort, is there a small float that I can use for the same job?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:46 pm

Hi L&A and welcome to the site and the world of plastering.
I am assuming that the fact you are applying tapes is that the area to be plastered is on to plasterboards rather than re-plastering over old plaster.
The nylon self adhesive tapes are great but you don't need to PVA them or the plasterboards either. Stick the tapes along the joints a press down on them firmly to create good bond to board.
You can buy a whole host of floats, again i'm assuming you are using the big plasterer's float about 20 inch long I think? They do some at 14 inchish. Once you pick up the knack of plastering you will return to larger float for big areas.
Good Luck with this project and projects in the future
KB

L&A
Apprentice
Apprentice

by L&A » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:36 am

Hi KB, Thanks for the reply.  I am plastering over an old ceiling that has been painted with a stipple effect platicky  type paint.  There are several long cracks along the beam lines and that is where I have tried to put the tape.  Any other suggestions or advice would be helpful.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:50 pm

you need to strip the paint away from the joint for good contact with tape and all flacky paint removed plus paint should have PVA coat, only other solution is to over board whole ceiling.
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:23 pm