DIY Doctor

Plumbing for anthracite radiator pipes

Postby Nofydd » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:17 pm

I have a new radiator finished in anthracite with matching anthracite valves and pipes. I need to plumb the flow and return to the anthracite radiator pipes.

I usually use solder joints but I am assuming soldering is not going to work on anthracite? I am thinking of using Speedfit (which I've never used before). Will Speedfit work on anthracite pipework? If not, will a compression joint work on it? What is the recommendation?
Nofydd
Progress to next rank:
75%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:49 pm

Hi nofydd
Anthracite pipe is just metal pipe painted, suggest you use compression fittings to ensure a sound seal in the long term.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Postby Nofydd » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:24 am

Many thanks, Stoneboy. I will go with your recommendation.
Nofydd
Progress to next rank:
75%

Postby stoneyboy » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:48 am

Hi nofydd
If you prefer Speedfit you could clean off the paint finish on the part of the tube that goes in the fitting, this will ensure a reliable joint. You may find that with compression fittings you have to clean off the paint finish anyway so that the olives will fit. Six of one half dozen of the other!
Regards S
stoneyboy

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!