Pools of water on New Block Paved Driveway
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
markineke
Labourer
Labourer

Pools of water on New Block Paved Driveway

by markineke » Fri May 28, 2010 1:32 pm

I had my large driveway block paved 8 months ago and after any substantial rain, large pools of water form in the same two or three areas, around the middle of the driveway. These can take up to four hours to disperse. My installer then fitted two small drains in the vacinity of the pools but these have had no effect as the water does bnot drain towards them. I believe that my installer is becoming a little tired with the problem and I am preparing myself for 'battle'. I would appreciate any advice on what preparations should have been taken to ensure sufficient drainage to the sides of the driveway!

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat May 29, 2010 8:28 pm

Basically there shouldn't be any dips in the paving where water can gather, the whole drive should slope slightly away from the house - the drive hasn't been laid properly.

My block paved drive is about 6m X 9m and I don't get any pools of water on mine.

Block paving is normally laid on dolomite and sand with silica sand brushed in, so there's nothing to stop natural drainage.

htg

elwood
Ganger
Ganger

by elwood » Mon May 31, 2010 4:42 pm

Hi

Providing your drive has adequate falls you should not have any puddles.

But if you have a few "low" spots it's not to hard to correct,just ask your contractor if he could lift, rescreed the sand, relay the paving, sweep in kiln dry sand and whack few hours work max.

Bye.

brithebuilder
Apprentice
Apprentice

by brithebuilder » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:17 pm

Hi,
It sounds as if the drive hasn't been set out properly. Normally the paving should be laid to a fall of 1:60 to 1:100 minimum and water would not have a chance to collect in slight irregularities if these overall falls are maintained.
You say that the installer has fitted drains but where do these drains run to ?
Most importantly, if the drive is at the front of the property and was installed 8 months ago then it must comply with new planning regulations introduced in October 2008 which state that rainwater must drain directly to the garden or into drains connected to a soakaway otherwise the construction of the drive should allow it to be permeable. If these conditions are not met then planning approval is required for the drive.
Normal paving is not permeable, due to the fines in the sub base and the laying bed becoming impervious after compaction.
Regards Bri

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:38 pm

Discover how easy it is to find vetted and insured tradesman local to your area with the help of DIY Doctor. Visit our Find a Tradesman area: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:09 am