Porch Foundation Dropped on Property on Raised Bank
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

Mike Linforth
Labourer
Labourer

Porch Foundation Dropped on Property on Raised Bank

by Mike Linforth » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:13 pm

Hello,
I have a bit of a conundrum that hopefully somebody here will be able to offer a bit of advice on.

My house is a mid terrace 1940s/1950s ex council build. We are on a raised bank and our front garden slopes away from the house. I have a front porch that has at some point developed a large gap in the brickwork. The gap is directly below the dpc, and appears to have been ‘repaired’ in the past. I took all the loose mortar away from the gap today to have a good look, and out came a load of slate pieces with it.

There are some cracks in the front of the house, however the survey we had done upon purchasing the house suggested this was historical and not a current issue. Plus, the porch gap is far more severe than anything on the front wall.

I’m confused what the cause of this could be. And also the remedy. Do i pack it full of slate and then repoint, hopefully solving the winter mould issue, or does something more drastic need to happen. Any thoughts appreciated.
Attachments
C16AEC88-1427-486D-8D29-EC7B4FFB016D.jpeg

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:32 am