Positioning and Moving Heavy Steel Beam for Loft Conversion
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
katiesdad
Tradesman
Tradesman

Positioning and Moving Heavy Steel Beam for Loft Conversion

by katiesdad » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:49 pm

I need to put in a steel beem to support the new floor in a loft conversion. The beam will need to span across the middle of the flat, half way between the front and back walls, as the existing loadbearing wall that currently takes the weight, may not take the extra load! The ends of the steel will be supported on the 9" solid brick party walls. The problem I have is physically getting a heavy steel beam up the stairs, and swung around into position. Can it be done in two halves, and welded or plated together? Any advice will be welcome.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Positioning and Moving Heavy Steel Beam for Loft Conversion

by welsh brickie » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:39 pm

for peace of mind, call in a builder to do it for you, if you cut it you will have to call a welder anyway.

michaelbailey
Ganger
Ganger

by michaelbailey » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:24 pm

Why are you using a steel beam and what is the overall length of the floor josts?

michaelbailey
Ganger
Ganger

by michaelbailey » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:46 am

the reason i'm asking for the joist length is I have undertaken loft conversions without the need for steelwork in fact now as a 'cad' technician recommend and use metal web joists that easily pass 'lbco' approval a recent one was approx. 8 metres span from wallplate to wallplate, they were only 250mm deep at a cost of £85 each, these sit 150mm above the existing ceiling boarded out with 25mm t&g soundproof iboard with 150mm insulation suspended on mesh one man job simples

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:10 am