Possible to put 2nd light switch just outside kids bedroom?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
danceindark49
Labourer
Labourer

Possible to put 2nd light switch just outside kids bedroom?

by danceindark49 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:14 pm

Hi everyone

We've had to take the light bulbs out of my 3-year old twin grandsons' bedroom because with teamwork they can reach the light switch and had started getting up to play in the middle of the night - then being grouchy all day. Trouble is, when they get coughs and colds they tend to throw up at night and with no light in the room it's a nightmare trying to clear it all up. I think the answer is to put a second light switch just outside their bedroom so that the switch in the bedroom will only work when the switch outside is switched on. It looks like there are 2 live wires going into the existing switch and 1 live wire going out -presumably up to the light fitting. Does that sound right or have I got it back to front? Would I need to connect all the lives to the second switch and back again to the original switch or just one of them? Alternatively should I bypass the original switch and just take all the wires to the new switch? I'm handy with tools and quite logical so I'm sure I can do this job safely with a bit of advice from someone in the know.

Many thanks.
Lin :o)

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:56 pm

danceindark49,
If you have 3 wires into the switch there's a fair chance it's a 2-way light switch with another switch somewhere in the room. Relocate the switch outside the room and put the wires in the same connections. Fit a blank plate over the old light switch and don't forget to turn off the electricity before you start.
end

danceindark49
Labourer
Labourer

by danceindark49 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:57 am

Thank you very much for the advice and sorry it's taken so long to say thanks - the boys have been catching every bug going so it's been non-stop washing bedlinen and scrubbing carpets for weeks!
The existing switch certainly looks like it's wired to have a second switch in the room but there isn't one so it's obviously one of life's anomalies. In any case, I'm going to take your advice - blank off the existing switch and run all the wires to the new switch.
Thanks again.
Lin

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:37 am

You can get a light switch which needs a key. Designed to test emergency lights but may do what you want.

danceindark49
Labourer
Labourer

by danceindark49 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Thanks so much for that idea. I haven't found an emergency light test switch that will do the job but I think I've found a key card type switch which means I wouldn't need to start drilling holes and running wires through walls. I don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place - doh!!
Thanks again.
Lin

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:11 pm