Potterton Suprima - CH will only come on when HW is also on
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
thedoodydoo
Labourer
Labourer

Potterton Suprima - CH will only come on when HW is also on

by thedoodydoo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:27 pm

Hi All

I'm having a bit of a prob with my central heating and wonder if anyone has any ideas.
The boiler is a 6 year old Potterton Suprima 40L and here's an overview of the prob:

If I switch on the central heating, the boiler doesn't light.
If I switch on the hot water the boiler lights straight away.
Once the boiler has been lit by the hot water, if I then switch on the central heating, it works fine and the radiators heat up.
Once the hot water tank's got to the correct temp, the hot water goes off and so then does the heating.

I have to admit that I haven't a clue, so I'd appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to read this post, and apologies if I haven't given enough information.

Cheers! - Dave

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:11 am

Hi,

From what info you have given, I suspect you have a motorised valve,(near cylinder/pump) This is your problem. The head needs changing.

Hth

thedoodydoo
Labourer
Labourer

by thedoodydoo » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:44 am

Hi Steve - thanks v.much for that - you were spot on!
Dave

RibShack
Labourer
Labourer

by RibShack » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:44 am

Hi all,

Smiliar problem here in fact, but if I turn the CH on, then the RCD board trips out and loses all my electricity to the sockets.

I've got a new 3 way motorised valve, as suggested here - I assume I need to go through the horrible process of draining the whole system before installing it?

Thanks.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:25 am

Hi,

Not a drain down if you're just replacing motor head.

Hth

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1