Power for TV hung on wall
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Milleniumaire
Labourer
Labourer

Power for TV hung on wall

by Milleniumaire » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:26 am

I want to fit my new 50" TV on the wall. I was planning on installing a new power socket directly behind the TV and joining this to a fused spur in the corner of the room that is no longer used.

My problem is that the bracket for fixing the TV to the wall gives 21mm clearance between the back of the TV and the wall and the moulded plug that comes with the TV is 24mm thick. A socket face plate would be about 5mm thick so there isn't room behind the TV to accommodate the plug and the socket!

I thought about cutting off the moulded plug and replacing it with a thinner plug, but I would need a slimline plug and haven't seen any less than 21mm. I'm also not sure how tampering with the supplied power cable will affect the TV warranty. Alternatively I could set the socket into the wall i.e. cut out the plasterboard (which is dabbed onto breeze block) so that the face of the socket sits below the face of the wall. Although this will be hidden from view (behind the TV) I think this will look messy.

Anyone any ideas how I can overcome this? I'm sure others fitting TV's to walls will have encountered the same problem when using a slim fitting bracket.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:42 am

You could bring the wall bracket out from the wall by placing packings behind it, or use an outlet plate instead of socket outlet and hard wire it in to a Fused Connection Unit.
KB

Milleniumaire
Labourer
Labourer

by Milleniumaire » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:56 pm

Hi KB, thanks for replying.

The bracket cost a lot of money because it is slimline so I don't want to start packing it out.

I have decided to install a fused spur with a flex outlet behind the TV and to cut off the plug from the cable supplied with the TV and connect this up to the fused spur.

Thanks for the suggestion.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:48 am